Steelcase’s Walkstation introduces a completely new way of working in the office. With all the recent evidence about how harmful it is to sit all day, the Walkstation brings a refreshing approach to the problem.
It consists of 2 main components, a treadmill and an electrically height adjustable desk. Instead of just standing to work the addition of a treadmill introduces a neat way to exercise and burn off calories at the same time.
And in case you’re thinking that using one will end up with you lathered in sweat this isn’t the case at all. Where you get your blood pumping on a treadmill in a gym, with the Walkstation that’s not the aim at all.
It’s designed to keep you active and fit in a much more relaxed way. This is achieved by limiting the maximum speed to just 2 miles per hour and this can be slowed right down to as low as 0.3 miles per hour.
It’s fully controllable so you can set the speed for your exact preferences.
You won’t end up worn out, as the idea is to use the Walkstation for several sessions during the day. So you are alternating between it and your normal workstation.
However there is also a Sit to Walkstation version as well. With this model you are able to replace your existing desk set up. So lets look at how you would normally use a Walkstation.
How does it all work?
Primarily the product is targeted at larger companies for multi person use. The idea being that up to 10 to 15 members of staff can have a session on it during the day. With that said there is no reason why individuals or home office users shouldn’t have a Walkstation. The added flexibility of the Sit to Walkstation model is ideal for single person use.
The front edge of the height adjustable desk part of the set up has a stowable digital touch pad control unit. This serves to both set up your preferences as well as useful information including:
- Recording and displaying the time spent on the treadmill
- The distance the user has traveled
- The speed at which you are walking
- The calories burned while using it
All this is possible by simply clipping a cable onto a magnetic connector fitted at waist level. To begin it’s a good idea to set the speed at a low level so you can get used to how it all works. You would stand by the side of the belt and use the controller to start the treadmill before stepping onto it.
The width of the treadmill is designed to sit neatly between the legs of the Walkstation’s desk. In the case of the Sit To Walkstation the treadmill is narrow enough to be set to one side. This means that you can get your chair comfortably into your work area.
Who is it suitable for?
Any reasonably fit person should have no trouble in using a Walkstation. However, if you do have any health issues it’s always advisable to seek medical advice before using this kind of equipment. There are no special requirements although it’s recommended to wear casual walking shoes rather than dress shoes.
It will work well for both individuals as well as multiple users thanks to the controller, which stores user data to enable you to keep a check on your progress.
- Overall treadmill dimensions: Width 23 1⁄2″ x Depth 64″ x Height 6″
- Treadmill belt area: Width 18″ x Length 53″
- Max user weight capacity: 350lbs
- Speed – 2.0 mph maximum adjustable in 0.1 mph speed increments (0.3 mph – 2.0 mph)
- Patented Soft System® surface with Neoprene shock absorbers in front third of the deck for user comfort
- Indicators on the belt to show movement and belt edge
- Plugs into a 110 volt outlet and uses between 3 to 8 amps based on load
- Black belt with either Black or Silverstone paint finish to frame
Standard Walkstation - Available online in 2 sizes
- Rectangular 38 inches wide by 30 inches deep with shaped front edge
- Wing shape with front cut out 66 inches wide by 32 inches deep.
Sit to Walkstation
- Single size top 78 inches long by 29 inches deep
All tops have a Urethane profile edge acting as a palm rest, front edge cushion and grip for balance
Finishes and adjustments (all desks)
- Frame color black or platinum paint finish
- Tops in Artic White, Natural Cherry or Winter on Maple laminate with either black or grey edging
- Electrically height adjustable between 24.5 inches and 52 inches
- Shipping is made by white glove delivery for full onsite installation.
Tables have 5 year warranty on the lifting column, electronics and Urethane profile and 10 years on other parts.
Treadmill has 3 year warranty on parts and wear items, 1 year on treadmill service and labor and lifetime on the frame.
The Walkstation provides a novel yet practical alternative way of working and keeping fit in the office. It makes good sense for businesses to offer this concept to keep staff working more healthily. Whilst the initial outlay of over $4000 is considerable when you consider the cost of a single potential claim it starts to make sense.
Although it’s targeted mainly at corporate multiple users there’s no reason why individuals shouldn’t invest in one. For single users the Sit to Walkstation makes more sense as it’s unlikely you would want stand or walk for the entire day.
Where To Buy Online
This Steelcase specialist online store has low price guarantee on both the Walkstation and Sit to Walkstation with free white glove installation also included.